Conditions of Use
Copyright and Use
All content is copyright and is the intellectual property of Dorsett Publications. While we have always assumed that folks were going to print off or photocopy the plans and patterns from The Scale Cabinetmaker and The Cabinetmaker’s Guides in order to save their original copies from the threat of stains and workbench wear and tear, we have also asked that our readers not pass around their copies or duplicate the projects for a larger group (i.e. the use of a project in a miniature club setting) without expressed written consent from Dorsett Publications. Dorsett Publications is a very small, family-owned business, and, as such, relies on the goodwill and honor of our readers to respect our copyright.
Unfortunately, the electronic age has introduced new complexity to an old problem and necessitates the following provisions that did not exist when the journal and books were print documents rather than electronic documents:
- You may print the allowed content of downloaded or cd-rom publications solely for your personal, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited, non-commercial use, recognizing it is a bit difficult to use workshop materials on a computer screen. Most folks really don’t want their laptop or desktop computer in the same room with a thicknessing sander.
- Systematic reproduction, renting, re-selling, or sub-licensing of downloaded or cd-rom publications, in print or electronically, is not permitted. We recognize that the reselling of the original print versions of The Scale Cabinetmaker as a collector’s item is going to continue and make an exception for the resale of the original books and journals published and printed by Dorsett Publications, but you are not allowed to have the originals reprinted or copied (including scanned) for resale or sharing, nor are you allowed to reduplicate the cd-rom versions of the any of the publications from Dorsett Publications for resale or for distribution.
- Retransmission, caching, networking or posting of PDFs, whether from the cd-roms or from the downloads is strictly prohibited without the written permission of Dorsett Publications or unless Dorsett Publications has provided written permission for specific articles (Free projects or articles published on the Dorsett Publications website).
- Content may not be extracted for any other use. You may not reproduce, format, adapt, modify, translate, or improve any materials included in the PDFs, or any such materials in a manner that would infringe the copyrights therein.
- In consideration of our authorization of use, you agree that any copy, download, or dissemination of these materials will retain all copyrights, trademarks, and other proprietary notices in the same form and manner as on the original.
- Content that is quoted in another publication, including online publications such as blogs, must include an appropriate citation and may not be represented as your own work. Please do not plagiarize. That said, we recognize that the materials in The Scale Cabinetmaker, The Cabinetmaker’s Guides, The Best of TSC, and The TSC Workshop Manuals are meant to be used and to be built.
- While the plans and patterns are the intellectual property of Dorsett Publications and our contributors, the results of using the plans, patterns, and instructions on your workbench (i.e., the model) and learning and using the techniques included in the publications are yours. The materials included in the books, cd-roms, and digital downloads from Dorsett Publications are designed for personal use, not as design materials for mass production without expressed written consent from Dorsett Publications.
- The Dorsett Publications newsletter may be liberally shared and forwarded, although we ask that the newsletter not be modified and that the pdf document retain all copyright information.
- Downloading PDF publications or purchasing cd-rom or print publications constitutes the user’s agreement with these terms.
Dorsett Publications has long valued customer privacy. There is nothing worse than having your email box filled up with sales junk from insurance companies, health-product companies, and politicians of various ilks. For this reason, we do not sell or share customer information. That does not, however, mean that we do not collect customer information:
- Email. We maintain an email list of past customers who have expressed an interest in being included on our e-newsletter mailing list. In addition, we have a sign-up form on our blog site where customers can request the e-newsletter. If you receive a newsletter, but do not want it, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request removal. * As of 9/13/18, the newsletter is not active. This will apply should it become reactivated.
- Name, Address, and Order Information. All orders include your name, address, and order information. We keep the hard copies for our sales and inventory records and maintain an excel spreadsheet of sales for ease of use and to lessen the time it would take to dig through the pile of printed orders.
Purchasing, Downloading, and Printing Documents
Availability: Our products may be available as digital downloads, on CD-rom, or as print material depending upon the product.
Purchasing and Downloading PDFs. Simply download and open the pdf document using Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher. Be sure to specify a destination folder for your purchased issues when you are downloading so that you can find your downloaded documents on your computer. Documents may be downloaded twice (2 times). We keep a record of who has purchased downloaded documents. If your computer up and dies on you, email us with your contact information, a list of your documents, and purchase dates and we will work with you to get back up and running.
Format and Dimensions: All documents are in pdf format and are designed to be open on both Mac and Dos platforms. All models in The Scale Cabinetmaker are 1″:1′ (one-twelfth scale), unless otherwise noted and measurements are listed in full dimension (i.e. 3 feet and 3 inches rather than 3 1/4″). Printers may add an additional error rather than reproducing drawings at exactly the same original scale, so modelers should work from the original dimensions listed on the drawings rather than the drawings themselves. In other words, be sure to check for errors before you start a project. Scaling errors can be corrected by adjusting the scale feature on the printer. Do not choose “fit to page” on your print settings when printing out project plans. Dorsett Publications is not responsible for plan errors created by printing and printer errors.
Non-standard format pages. A few of the plans published in The Scale Cabinetmaker were in a non-standard format (17″ x 22″). In these cases, the plans were scanned in standard 8 1/2 x 11 portrait format. The pages will need to be printed out and pieced together.
Returns, Refunds, and Shipment That Have Gone Astray.
All sales, regardless of type, are final.
Downloaded documents: Downloaded documents cannot be returned, and there are no refunds. We assume that downloaded documents are not likely to be lost in route, at least not in the same way as packages; however, glitches happen. If a glitch occurs during your download, call or email Dorsett Publications (email@example.com) and we will work with you to figure out the download problem.
CD-roms. Unfortunately, technology glitches occur on occasion. If a cd-rom is deemed unusable or corrupted, contact us to initiate the replacement process (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Shipping. If you do not receive your expected shipment, we will work with you and the shipping company to resolve the issue and get you your products as quickly as possible within reason. For some places in the world, we require a signature for delivery. If a shipment has been signed for and disappears, Dorsett Publications is not liable for replacement.
Governing Law: Not surprising, this agreement is governed by US and Virginia law. Both parties irrevocably agree to submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the federal and state courts presiding in Montgomery County, Virginia, U.S.A and the Client must file any cause of action it may have with respect to this Agreement within one year after the cause of action arose or such cause shall be barred, invalid, and void . Dorsett Publications LLC may pursue injunctive relief in any court having jurisdiction over such actions.
Changes in Licensed Products. Dorsett Publications reserves the right to 1) change the content, presentation, means of delivery, and/or access to or availability of all or parts of our publications; and 2) cease publication of our publications at our sole discretion. Dorsett Publications will provide notification of changes on the Dorsett Publications website (thescalecabinetmaker.com) within 30 days of the change.
Warranty and Liability: Dorsett Publications makes no warranty, expressed or implied, concerning the licensed products and the site, nor do we guarantee the accuracy, content, or timeliness of the licensed products. Dorsett Publications, and the folks, all two of us (now one with the death of Meghan Dorsett on Jan. 30, 2018), are not liable for direct, indirect, punitive, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising from the direct or indirect use of or reliance of the licensed production or the site. If for some odd reason someone files a claim against Dorsett Publications, in no event is Dorsett Publications liable for more than the purchase price of the licensed products. Nor is Dorsett Publications liable for computer glitches outside of our immediate control, including computer issues on a client’s computer, on the internet, on another server (we don’t actually have one of these), or on the FTP site. Nor is Dorsett Publications liable or deemed to be in default for delay or failure in performance or interruption of the delivery of Licensed Products resulting directly or indirectly from any cause or circumstance beyond its or their reasonable control, including but not limited to the failure of any Site, FTP, or any electronic or mechanical equipment or communications lines, telephone or interconnect problems, supplier problems, computer issues, unauthorized access, theft, operator errors, severe weather, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, other natural disasters, strikes, other labor problems, wars, governmental restrictions, or political stupidity.
Taxes and other charges. Customers are responsible for any applicable sales taxes, tariffs, customs charges, additional charges, user fees, transaction fees, or other expenses that others outside Dorsett Publications may deem appropriate now or in the future. In short, we are not liable for the taxing decisions of government authorities nor the fee decisions of other companies.
No Joint Ventures. This agreement does not suggest that a joint venture, employment, agency relationship, or partnership exists between our customers and Dorsett Publications as a result of this agreement or the customer’s use of the licensed or copyrighted materials from this site.
Severability. If any provision of this contract is held to be illegal, invalid, or unenforceable under present or future laws effective during the term of this contract, such provision is fully severable, and this contract must be construed and enforced as if such illegal, invalid, or unenforceable provision never comprised a part of this contract; and the remaining provisions of this contract remain in full force and effect and may not be affected by the illegal, invalid, or unenforceable provision or its severance from this contract.